Artist in Residence Program
CALL FOR BOXJELLY+FISHCAKE ARTIST IN RESIDENCE
We are now accepting proposals for BoxJelly+Fishcake Artist in Residence (AiR), a 3-month opportunity to create new work for a solo exhibition in Honolulu, Hawaii in the heart of Kaka’ako, an urban neighborhood with proximity to the beach, shops, restaurants, bars and local events.
We’re looking for bright, enterprising creatives who work in contemporary art practices and forms with big ideas and the ambition to execute them.
The Summer Residency is 3 months July 1st to September 30th.
The residency includes:
- A workspace (a clean studio space suitable for artists and designers working in digital arts, video, photography, illustration, fiber arts and textile design).
- A solo exhibition at The BoxJelly, the premier co-working space for urban creatives in Hawaii! We will provide press, marketing and hosting costs of the opening reception. All sales from the exhibition go directly to the artist.
- BoxJelly Dedicated Studio membership (a $1500 value).
- Creative mentoring with BoxJelly Arts Coordinator Laurie Sumiye.
- A one-on-one portfolio review with Fishcake Art Curator Keiko Hatano.
- Consultation with Fishcake Co-Founder and Chief Creative Maura Fujihira and Fishcake Showroom Manager Cassie Louie on selling artwork and design products.
- An opportunity to earn a spot on Fishcake’s roster of local and international artists and designers. Fishcake sells artists’ work in two retail locations, as well as direct to homeowners and businesses through their interior design studio, Fishcake Works.
The residency does not include exhibition costs, artist stipend, transportation or housing. We cannot offer a visa for international applicants.
Submissions must include:
- The application form
- Project proposal: 1-2 pages in length, outlining a plan to create a body of work to enhance BoxJelly’s space. Include a detailed list of techniques and materials, outlining project logistics, supply and labor needs, and budget
- Artist’s CV
- Digital zip file containing 5-10 samples of your most recent work with an inventory sheet
- Artist Statement
- Other Supportive Material (optional)
Please email your application and materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
FINAL DEADLINE: MIDNIGHT HST, JUNE 15th 2017.
DEADLINE EXTENED: MIDNIGHT HST, JUNE 16th 2017.
To arrange a space visit and for all questions, please contact:
Arts Coordinator, BoxJelly
How do I apply for the Artist in Residence program?
Jump over here and submit an application by June 15th!
Can we apply to the next seasons AiR Program?
Yes, we will be accepting Fall ’17 and Spring ’18 applications in a couple of months.
Who will be deciding on the submissions?
A panel of creative folks the artist will be working with from Fishcake and BoxJelly.
Is there a fee to apply?
Is there an artist’s stipend?
Nope, sorry, just a space.
How big is the space?
About ~150 sq ft or so.
What do you mean by “clean studio space”?
It does not refer how neat you are! The larger space is shared with designers and folks who work on computers. This means no painting, wet media, or materials that give off toxic fumes.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Parking is FREE at the Ward Warehouse parking structure located one block from the BoxJelly on the corner of Ward Ave & Auahi St (across from StarBucks). There is also a drop off loading zone right in front of the BoxJelly.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Give us a call M-F 8am – 8pm (808)769-6921 or email us email@example.com