BoxJelly x Fishcake Artist in Residence: Call for Artists Spring 2019
APPLY NOW FOR OUR 2019 BOXJELLY+FISHCAKE ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE (AIR) PROGRAM
CREATE NEW WORK FOR A SOLO EXHIBITION IN HONOLULU, HAWAII IN THE HEART OF KAKA’AKO
DEADLINE: January 11, 2019
Since 2011, Box Jelly has functioned as a collaborative workspace for a diverse set of professionals. Our mission is to provide a carefully curated physical space that cultivates and enriches our communities. As a coworking space, we understand the importance of a dedicated work area. This is why we’re opening up our resources to upcoming artists.
The Box Jelly/ Fishcake Artist in Residence Program is a development platform for those transitioning into professional artists. We intend to accomplish this by providing ample studio space, utilities and a supportive community of like-minded art professionals to foster resident artist’s creativity.
We are now accepting proposals for BoxJelly+Fishcake Artist in Residence (AiR), a 6-month opportunity to create new work for a solo exhibition in Honolulu, Hawaii in the heart of Kaka’ako, an urban neighborhood with proximity to the beach, shops, restaurants, bars and local events.
We’re looking for bright, enterprising creatives who work in contemporary art practices and forms with big ideas and the ambition to execute them.
The six-month residency runs from February 1st 2019 with culminating show to be presented in August 2019.
The residency includes:
- A workspace (a clean studio space suitable for artists and designers working in digital arts, video, photography, illustration, fiber arts and textile design).
- A solo exhibition at The BoxJelly, the premier co-working space for urban creatives in Hawaii! We will provide press, marketing and hosting costs of the opening reception. All sales from the exhibition go directly to the artist.
- BoxJelly Dedicated Studio membership (a $4000 value).
- Creative mentoring with the BoxJelly and Fishcake team.
- A one-on-one portfolio review with Fishcake Art Curator Keiko Hatano.
- Consultation with Fishcake Co-Founder and Chief Creative Maura Fujihira and Fishcake Showroom Manager Cassie Louie on selling artwork and design products.
- An opportunity to earn a spot on Fishcake’s roster of local and international artists and designers. Fishcake sells artists’ work in two retail locations, as well as direct to homeowners and businesses through their interior design studio, Fishcake Works.
The residency does not include exhibition costs, artist stipend, transportation or housing. We cannot offer a visa for international applicants.
Submissions must include:
- The application form
- Project proposal: 1-2 pages in length, outlining a plan to create a body of work to enhance BoxJelly’s space. Include a detailed list of techniques, materials, and outlining project logistics.
- Artist’s CV
- Digital zip file containing 5-10 samples of your most recent work with an inventory sheet
- Artist Statement
- Other Supportive Material (optional)
Please email your application and materials to email@example.com
DEADLINE: January 11, 2019